Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Hey , how's it going at CMU ?

Well this is often the question I get asked when I talk to people back home. I generally reply with something generic and not detailed enough. So I decided to write a slightly detailed account about my first week here (too much free time in my hands)

So first things first , for the unfamiliar , I have moved to Pittsburgh to study at Carnegie Mellon University. I arrived last Saturday on the 13th . Upon landing the airport with 4 huge bags , I realized I had not planned how to reach my apartment. And there I was 4 huge bags with me , not even a trolley to carry them standing close to a life size replica of a T-Rex dinosaur (which was pretty awesome by the way). So I finally decide to get a trolley ( $ 4 ,wtf ???) and move on. Some kind lady lent me her phone and I called one of my roommates for directions.

I boarded this 28x bus and again was luckily helped by a Swiss student with the bags. Most people are really friendly here and help you out. Bus ride was pretty scenic ( and to the Chinese couples on the bus , GET A ROOM !!!! ) and Pittsburgh looked like a hilly city. So I reach the bus stop and there my friend Aayush is there to help me out. We move with our trolley bags to our apartment and along the way I meet a couple of people waving at me , saying they recognize me from Facebook. Social Networking has really come a long way it seems.

I enter the apartment , its a little untidy but really its quite big and has a cosy feel to it. Especially the big living room is awesome and has 2/3 comfy futons , a really awesome leather chair (like the one in the Godfather) and a TV :)



After a weekend full of rest and setting up my bed etc., I go get my ID on monday and start attending orientation. Public transport , museums etc. are free with a CMU ID , so its really important to carry it all the time. The campus is really pretty in this weather. The trees , the open lawns and the clean air all make it magnificent. Its not too small and not too big either, just the right size. Anyway continuing with the graduate orientation , so yeah it was basically 4 days full of talks , seminars , random lunches and yes a fun Bar Be Cue (which did have vegetarian food by the way). Although the line was long but yes the Bar Be Cue was worth it just because I met awesome people on a table I randomly chose. Someone was from NY , someone from LA etc. different courses and really varied group. We hung out at the Carnegie Museum after the BBQ and that turned out to be time well spent. A full blown Dinosaur exhibit is after all every man's (and some women for that matter) dream come true.

The next day again I went out with a pretty eclectic group at this place called Mario's on a pretty upmarket street near my house , its called Walnut street . Well beer was flowing like a river here and there was a live band playing. It was more of a mini street party which we had hardly expected, we had dinner at an authentic American Diner ...and yes the chocolate milk shake was LEGEN.....DARY.

So last couple of days I have been hanging with a CS guy and a Materials guy (both PhD , needless to say "pretty" smart) . I am just a Masters student , so yeah that creates a few laughs. We have been exploring Pittsburgh through the day and night and although its a little on the quieter side , I kind of like it . This city has something for everyone.

In the coming week , there is hopefully a Poker Meetup , a Potluck (google it ..like I had to ) and my departmental orientation lunch at a Water-Park . Sounds fun ....I guess last days of freedom before classes start.

2 comments:

  1. I did not know you had a blog ! :)

    Also, which dinosaurs were they ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Triceraptops , Pterosaur ,Brontosaurus and of course the crowd favorite T-Rex :)

    P.S. - It would be good to know your real world avatar :)

    ReplyDelete