Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Second Chances

In school we were always told that "First Impressions are the last impressions" and if you had to make an impact on someone you should always come across as confident , look your best and so on and so forth.

As I grew up , maybe the effect it subconsciously had on me was that I was too quick to judge people. Maybe if a guy would dress in a slightly non-conventional manner I would brush him off as "artsy , liberal" types and someone who wasn't worth my time. If there was a girl that was not so called "attractive" in the conventional sense again at first glance I would not pay much attention to her. Little did I know that everyone has something different to themselves , everyone has a story and only if we give people a chance that we get to see the world from someone else's eyes.

As school went on , I realized my own awkwardness . I was not really unpopular but I wasn't lets say the most attractive (to put it mildly) , I wasn't conforming to the "norms" high school would want (being geeky isn't exactly a norm). As school was about to end I began to realize that whatever the stereotypes maybe the popular kid , the geek , the liberal artsies , the dancers , the singers....the bottom line was it was okay to be whoever and whatever you wanted and no matter how your views and opinions differed it was cool to just hangout and see what the "other" side thought like.


As college started , I decided to give people for once "Second Chances" hoping that some would give me "Second Chances" too. And those few who did , eventually became really good friends because trust me my first impression can be very bad :). I now make it an effort to talk to the "plane jane" (they turn out to be the ones who actually can have intelligent conversation) or the lanky guy standing alone (mostly because I can relate to him), once in a while I also jump into (not literally) the pretty girls giggling in a corner (often to come back without a smile on my face ). But even though it doesn't workout all the time , people may turnout to be exactly what you didn't want them to be but its cool because again life is about experiencing whats new or whats different . If sometimes people don't really appeal to me in the first go , I try not to write them off..because life in my opinion is about Second Impressions and not the First.

3 comments:

  1. So true! First impressions as from my experience are generally never 'complete' because there is much more to a person than what one can understand in just a few minutes or few hours. And in many cases that 'more' is what the person really is.
    Very well said and felt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Posted at 6:54 AM, really dude ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Madhurima - Thanks for your comment :) Its good that someone can understand what I am trying to say.

    @Lakshay - I have trouble sleeping !!

    ReplyDelete